Title:
'Survey of two estates situate in the parish of Hutton in the county of Essex called Downes & Bursses belonging to J. [word(s) erased and replaced by 'A. McLeod'] Gent. ['one &c.' added]'
Level: Category
Miscellaneous
Level: Fonds
MAP OF HUTTON
Scope and Content:
Scale of two and a half inches to 40 perches [i.e. 1 inch to 4 chains or 20 inches to 1 mile; 1:3168]

81 acres 1 rood 37 poles [33 hectares] in north-east of parish to either side of the Brentwood - Billericay road [now (1996) the A129] and to the west of Hanging Hill Lane, between TL 616952 and TL 620955 (Downs) and between TL 618952 and TL 622947 (Burses). Shows field names, buildings in block plan, roads, hedges, gates, trees; rubric distinguishes 'inclusive' and 'exclusive' measurements of plots. Polar indicator, scale bar.

To the east of Downs is marked [Long Riding] 'wood belonging to [erased] Forbes Esqr.' This is probably James Forbes of Hutton Hall (1753-1829), whose estate at Hutton had passed out of the Forbes family by 1831 (D/P 143/5).

Map endorsed 'Plans of Hutton Estates in 1837', with figures 'III' and '284' in different inks. The significance of the date 1837 - when Downs and Burses were tenanted by Thomas T. Beningfield and by Rosetta Angas formerly French respectively - is not known. The tithes of Hutton were commuted in 1838, but the acreages shown on the present map differ from those in the tithe award (D/CT 190A).

By the time of the first edition Ordnance Survey 1:2500 map (Essex sheet 67.4), surveyed in 1872, the 'mansion' here shown as part of Downs is marked as Hutton Place. This change seems to have begun during Beningfield's tenure ( Post Office Directory of Essex, 1845; D/DVh 2, p. 88). The Ordnance Survey map also identifies the 'cottage' shown at the western end of Burses as Caprons.
Dates of Creation:
1803
Extent:
1 roll
Creator Name:
J. Clarke
Admin History:
Both properties were copyhold of the manor of Hutton Hall. The name erased from the title was probably that of John French, linen draper of New Bond Street, parish of St George Hanover Square, Middlesex, who became tenant of both Downs and Burses in April 1802 (see D/DVh 1). Downs was sold in 1815, and acquired in 1855 by Joseph Addison McLeod, who occupied Hutton Hall from about 1848 (D/P 148/5) and had already acquired Burses from French's heirs in 1851. The alteration in the title of the map presumably dates from this period. Burses was enfranchised for McLeod in 1853 and Downs in 1862 (see D/DVh 2). McLeod - or a namesake - remained at the hall until at least 1878 (Post Office Directory of Essex) but had gone by the time of the 1881 census.
Custodial History:
The map presumably once formed part of the records of the McLeod family of Hutton Hall, Hutton. It was found in 1996 in a set of barristers' chambers in London. How it arrived there is unknown.
Physical Characteristics:
Ink and coloured wash on paper, mounted on linen and fixed by metal tacks to wooden rollers at top and bottom. The upper roller has two metal rings from which the map has apparently been hung. Overall brown staining; damaged by damp at top right, where parts of the surface of the map have been lost.
450 x 480 mm.
Not Available:
Use digital image(s).

Key terms

TypeKey termsDescription
Subjects Land utilization Map of Downs and Burses, Hutton, 1803
Personal Names J.
Clarke
surveyor, Hutton, 1803
Personal Names James
Forbes
Hutton, 1803
Personal Names John
French
linen draper, parish of St George Hanover Square, Middlesex, and Hutton, 1802
Personal Names Joseph Addison
McLeod
Hutton, c.1848-c.1878
Personal Names Rosetta
Angas
née French, Hutton, 1837
Personal Names Thomas T
Beningfield
Hutton, 1837
Place Names Burses
Hutton
Map, 1803
Place Names Caprons
Hutton
Map, 1803
Place Names Downs
Hutton
Map, 1803
Place Names Hutton Place
Hutton
Map, 1803
Place Names Long Riding
Hutton
Map, 1803
Place Names New Bond Street
Middlesex, St George Hanover Square
Linen draper John French acquires estate at Hutton, 1802
Document Types Manuscript map Downs and Burses, Hutton, 1803