Title:
STANSTED MOUNTFITCHET, St Mary the Virgin and St John the Evangelist
Level: Category
Parish Records
Level: Fonds
STANSTED MOUNTFITCHET, St Mary the Virgin and St John the Evangelist
Admin History:
The ancient parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Church Road, lies in Stansted Park, some distance from the village centre. It is now (2002) redundant, and is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. The present parish church of St John the Evangelist, St John's Road, was built in 1889 as a chapel of ease.
Custodial History:
For historical reasons, D/P 109 comprises (i) records of the parish of Stansted Mountfitchet, both civil (to 1894) and ecclesiastical, and (ii) records of Stansted Mountfitchet Parish Council, established in 1894 (D/P 109/30 ...). The two groups have quite separate custodial histories.
Related Unit of Description:
The ERO Library holds'A report of the church and school accounts and other church expenses, &c., of the parish of Stansted Montfitchet, Essex. 1879-80' (Bishop's Stortford 1880); 'A supplement to a report of the church and school accounts and other church expenses, &c. of the parish of Stansted Montfitchet, Essex, 1879-80; or, a glance in another direction' (Bishop's Stortford 1880); 'A report of the church and school accounts and other church expenses, &c., of the parish of Stansted Montfitchet, Essex. 1880-81' (Bishop's Stortford 1881); 'A report of the church and school accounts and a statement of the various charities, &c. of the parish of Stansted Montfitchet, Essex. 1883-84' (Bishop's Stortford 1884); and further reports under the latter title for 1884-1885 (Bishop's Stortford 1884), 1885-1886 (Bishop's Stortford 1886), 1886-1887 (Bishop's Stortford 1887), 1887-1888 (Bishop's Stortford 1888), 1888-1889 (Bishop's Stortford 1889), 1889-1890 (Bishop's Stortford 1890), 1890-1891 (Bishop's Stortford 1891), 1891-1892 (Bishop's Stortford 1892), and 1892-1893 (Bishop's Stortford 1893).

All are bound in a single volume, entitled on the spine 'Stansted Mountfitchet Accounts 1879-93', and apparently deriving from the Green family. In each case the paper back cover is lacking. Up to and including the year 1888-1889 each report includes a list of baptisms, marriages and burials, taken fom the parish registers; those for 1884-1885 and 1887-1888 include also confirmations.

It is not clear whether the report for 1879-1880 was the first to be published, although the report for 1886-1887 does refer to the series as having been begun by the then vicar, Thomas Garnham Luard. The 'Supplement' of 1880 is a nonconformist riposte to the initial report, which tends to confirm that it was the first of the series.