Title:
ARCHDEACONRY OF WEST HAM
Level: Category
Archdeaconry records
Level: Fonds
ARCHDEACONRY OF WEST HAM
Admin History:
The archdeaconry of West Ham was created by an Order-in-Council of 15 March 1922 (D/CPc 173), which divided the former archdeaconry of Essex (D/AE) into the archdeaconries of West Ham and Southend (D/AS).

An Order-in-Council of 30 January 1952, gazetted 1 February, transferred the rural deanery of Orsett and Grays from the archdeaconry of West Ham to the archdeaconry of Southend, and the rural deaneries of Chigwell, Harlow and Ongar from the archdeaconry of Southend to the archdeaconry of West Ham. In the rural deaneries of Orsett and Grays and Ongar, the transfer also involved some alteration in their boundaries.

On 1 November 1993 the deaneries of Epping Forest, Harlow and Ongar, representing those parts of the archdeaconry that lay outside Greater London, were removed into the new archdeaconry of Harlow. The archdeaconry of West Ham then comprised the deaneries of Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest (LIB/YEA 2/78).

On 1 February 2013 the four archdeaconries then within the Diocese of Chelmsford (Colchester, Harlow, Southend and West Ham) were sub-divided to create three new archdeaconries (Barking, Chelmsford and Stansted). The archdeaconry of West Ham was reduced to comprise only the deaneries of Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest; the new archdeaconry of Barking covered the deaneries of Barking and Dagenham and Havering.