Seax - Essex Archives Online
From the Essex Record Office
Essex County Council Logo
Go

E/E 210

MOUNTFITCHET HIGH SCHOOL, STANSTED


Repository:Essex Record Office
Level: CategorySchool records
Level: FondsMOUNTFITCHET HIGH SCHOOL, STANSTED
Reference Code:E/E 210
Dates of Creation:1908-1992
Title:MOUNTFITCHET HIGH SCHOOL, STANSTED
Admin History:Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1914, records that a public elementary school for boys was erected in Stansted in 1835 and in 1862 was rebuilt, on land given by William Fuller Maitland, at the cost of the Society of Friends. This British School stood in Chapel Hill, Stansted. A new classroom was added in 1898. In 1912 the school became a Council School and was again enlarged, and a separate department was built for girls and infants. Together these were known as Stansted Council School, later Stansted County School.

In July 1948 infant and junior pupils were transferred to the nearby Stansted Church of England Primary School, and the school buildings were re-used for the new Stansted County Secondary School (school number 343, revised 1953 to number 4260). Owing to shortage of space, the Congregational Hall, Stansted, was leased temporarily for physical training and dining purposes. Pupils were drawn initially from Berden, Birchanger, Elsenham, Farnham, Great Hallingbury, Henham, Manuden, Quendon, Rickling, Stansted and Ugley. In 1953 children from Berden, Henham, Rickling and Ugley were transferred to Saffron Walden County Secondary School, and the school at Stansted received children from Hatfield Heath and Hatfield Broad Oak. In 1958 children from Broxted, Hatfield Heath and Hatfield Broad Oak were transferred to Dunmow, and children from Elsenham, Henham, Ugley and Rickling (back) to Stansted.

In September 1960 Stansted County Secondary School moved to new premises in Forest Hall Road, Stansted. At this point it served Birchanger, Broxted, Elsenham, Farnham, Great Hallingbury, Little Hallingbury, Manuden, Rickling and Stansted. During 1968/69 and again in 1974/75 the school buildings were extended to allow for a larger intake. In 1972 the school was renamed The Mountfitchet School. In 1975 the catchment area was revised to include Berden, Clavering, Manuden, Rickling and Widdington. Two further demountable classrooms were added in 1977, and two more in 1979.

In 1984, following concern over falling rolls, the school was limited to teaching ages 11-16, and was renamed Mountfitchet High School. There were further building works in 1985 and 1990/91. From September 2006 the school became Mountfitchet Mathematics and Computing College.
Archivist Note:E/E 210/7/1-6 and E/E 210/10/1 catalogued by CL, February 2007.
Existence of Copies:For microfilms of log books E/E 210/7/1-5 and punishment book E/E 210/10/1 (made by the Essex Record Office, 1991, before the deposit of the original records) see T/P 354/1-5, 12.
Related Description:For a group photograph of the infants, c.1905, and a general view of the new school buildings of 1960, see Paul Embleton, Images of England. Around Stansted Mountfitchet (1998), pp. 59, 128.

This document has been indexed. The indexes are listed below.
Index TypeIndex TermsDescription
Subjects Schools Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Personal Names William Fuller
Maitland
Stansted Mountfitchet, 1862
Place Names Chapel Hill
Stansted British School
Stansted Mountfitchet
Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Place Names Chapel Hill
Stansted Council School
Stansted Mountfitchet
Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Place Names Chapel Hill
Stansted County Secondary School
Stansted Mountfitchet
Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Place Names Forest Hall Road
Mountfitchet High School
Stansted Mountfitchet
School records (introduction)
Place Names Forest Hall Road
Mountfitchet Mathematics and Computing College
Stansted Mountfitchet
Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Place Names Forest Hall Road
Stansted County Secondary School
Stansted Mountfichet
Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Place Names Forest Hall Road
The Mountfitchet School
Stansted Mountfitchet
Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Institutions Mountfitchet High School Stansted; school records (introduction)
Institutions Society of Friends Stansted Mountfitchet, 1862
Institutions Stansted British School Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Institutions Stansted Council School Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Institutions Stansted County Secondary School Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)
Institutions The Mountfitchet School Records of Mountfitchet High School, Stansted (introduction)



Document Details Browse Catalogue