Title:
ROMFORD, ST. AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY
Level: Category
Parish Records
Level: Fonds
ROMFORD, ST. AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY
Scope and Content:
The parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, Romford, originated as a mission of St. Andrew, Romford. According to a note in D/P 580/1/17 the first services were held in September 1946. A church was erected in 1948 at the corner of Birkbeck Road and Rush Green Road, and dedicated in February 1949. A conventional district was formed in 1953. A new church was dedicated in December 1958 and destroyed by fire in March 1993. In 1969 Augustine's became a separate parish, formed out of St. Andrew Romford, St. Peter and St. Paul Dagenham and Holy Cross Hornchurch.
The parish is also commonly known as St. Augustine Rush Green.